Thursday, April 26, 2007

Born Into Brothels: Photographs by the Children of Calcutta by Zana Briski




This is my thinking chair.








It is an old kitchen chair given to me by one of my sisters .

It was originally black with the paint faded and worn around the edges.

I saw a documentary called BORN INTO BROTHELS.





I was inspired by bountiful colors from the film and its companion book.

frazy.com
powered by frazy.com


The color scheme reminds me of the unwavering hope of so many of the children being raised in desperate circumstances.

Like a lotus flower blooming in the mud.

So, I painted my chair to symbolize hope.

To bloom from where I have been planted.

The seat cover is my first crochet project. It is pulled together from bits and scraps of yarn I had found laying about in the bottom of craft bins; reminds me of how I pull bits and scraps of information and emotions together when I write.

So there it is...

my thinking chair.
Inspired by the beuty of Zana Briski and the children of INdia.

And now I am going to sit here and think my thoughts.

And while I am thinking today, I dwell upon the wonder of a photographer who came to India. She came to India to photograph the women of the brothels, and fulfilled a need for the children of these women.
Here program is called Kids with Cameras.
The documentary about this work won the Academy Award in 2005.
Learn more by visiting the links below.
RESOURCES:
zana briski
Kids with Cameras



No comments: